NASA Great Lakes Region HPDE 4
Welcome to the top rung of the NASA HPDE ladder. Group 4 drivers have passed through all previous NASA HPDE levels or equivalent, have obtained an Official Signed NASA Passport, and understand the HPDE rules as described in the CCR. They can successfully navigate the road course both on-line and off-line and are comfortable passing and being passed just about anywhere on track. It is essential they have a heightened situational awareness and understanding of common passing situations such as ‘leap frog’ or ‘side by side’ exercises as experience passing and being passed is an absolute must in this run group.
HPDE 4 is a destination for the elite performance drivers and a stepping stone for future racers and time trial drivers. This fast and skilled group is frequented by our NASA instructors and other licensed competitors who choose to get extra seat time outside their competition groups. As a prerequisite of the NASA competition school, additional, advanced passing exercises and coaching to maximize corner entry roll speed will be presented with other advanced driving techniques.
Group 4 is reserved for very experienced drivers who have extensive training within the NASA Great Lakes system and must list previous experience, events, schools attended, and licenses on the entry form to be eligible. Out of region drivers registering for 4 or new to NASA Great Lakes drivers are required to contact the group leader or Chief Instructor to drive in the group. In most cases a few sessions in HPDE 3 to access your traffic skills are required. NASA Great Lakes region HPDE is not a competitive, timed or racing event. HPDE is High Performance Driver Education.
HPDE 4 to TT or Instructor or Competition School Advancement Guidelines
- Successful completion of HPDE 3 and the HPDE 3 Exams
- Successful demonstration of HPDE 4 drills participation and execution
- Tire Temps and Pressures in Pit lane. You will learn to take tire temps and pressures in pit lane and support HPDE 3 run group. HPDE 3 will take your tire temps and pressures too. Temps and Pressures Doc download
- HPDE 3+ Facebook Group. If you do Facebook then you will want to join this group. Great team culture and fantastic go-faster resources and discussion. https://www.facebook.com/groups/645569922596643/ This is a closed group and the page is designed to lift and develop drivers and for senior drivers to give back via knowledge and experience.
- Measure Camber and Toe Learn how to measure your own Camber and Toe or any other car. Using providing toe plates and a camber gauge you'll learn how to measure your own car. This comes in helpful when diagnosing handling problems and also to confirm the car you currently drive. This 10 minute exercise is easily executed with the help of a friend using standard toe plates and a camber gauge (both provided). This is a one time exercise structured to make you familiar with camber and toe. You will develop the ability to look at any car in the distance and conclude that camber and toe are in the ball park and/or have not moved which often lead to undesirable handling characteristics.
- Any NASA TREK Experience Participation in a Friday TREK event is a very valuable experience. ANY experience includes observing, being on a crew (everyone needs crew), working a radio, taking tire temps, manning the fire bottle, working pit lane as a volunteer (always needed) or driving (HPDE 3 and 4 drivers may race in TREK). This is a one time experience designed to expose you to team cooperation and endurance racing. Events are held on Friday afternoon at most all NASA GL events.
- There are various exams required to take and pass to advance to HPDE 4 and beyond. All exams are open book. All are knowledge exams. All are free. All must be completed before a driver can advance. It is recommended that you take these exams as early as possible to be able to exploit these techniques as early as possible and hone them as skills. Please chose and take all of the 3 and 4 requirement (as noted in RED and you need only take them once) exams PLUS those that relate to your final objectives (in BLUE) Please note there there are 3 for future instructors, 2 for future racers and 1 for future TT drivers.
Your progress can be tracked here: DRIVER ADVANCEMENT TRACKER
HPDE advancement HPDE 3, 4, TT, Instructor, Comp School Requirements Spreadsheet ALL
HPDE Resources and tools.
Contact your NASA Group 4 leader here:
THE INTENT OF THIS DOCUMENT IS TO CONVEY IMPORTANT INFORMATION SO THAT A PARTICIPANT CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION ABOUT WHICH GROUP TO CHOOSE. IN THE INTERESTS OF SAFE, SERIOUS, FUN, DRIVERS SIGNING UP FOR A GROUP FOR WHICH THEY ARE NOT QUALIFIED WILL BE SUBJECT TO PENALTIES, INCLUDING A 1 YEAR SUSPENSION OR FORFEITURE OF NASA MEMBERSHIP. WHEN IN DOUBT, PLEASE SIGN UP FOR THE LOWER GROUP. DRIVERS CAUSING “TRAINS” WILL BE ASKED TO MOVE BACK TO A LOWER RUN GROUP.